A different kind of chemistry company driven to create a better world through the power of our chemistry
Polymerization ChemistParkersburg, WV
Chemours is seeking a Polymer Scientist to join our growing PTFE and Melts – Advanced Performance Materials team! This position will report directly to the Global Technology Manager of PTFE and Melts and will be located at our Washington Works facility in Parkersburg WV.
As part of Chemours’ commitment to sustainability and responsible manufacturing, this role will guide new product/process development, and application expansion of new technologies across our product portfolio. The Polymer Scientist role will work in partnership with our global team of scientists and engineers to develop, evaluate and commercialize industry leading solutions in our production facilities. These advancements will utilize material science and courageous chemistry to enable novel polymer production processes within Chemours Advanced Performance Materials (APM).
• Design and carry out polymerizations with attention to detail, interact with internal and external collogues as a technical expert in the material characterization, emulsion polymerization and analysis of polymers.
• Collaborate with analytical, quality, manufacturing technology and operations teams to evaluate lab scale results and design and execute plant trials and full-scale implementation of sustainable technologies.
• Ensure product quality, finished product specifications and performance criteria are met.
• Synthesize and characterize new polymers as well as assess the suitability for application in various product areas and develop novel polymerization conditions, develop structure/ property/ performance relationships.
• Develop and monitor process conditions of new polymers/materials that provides for understanding of process dynamics as well as control and reproducibility of key materials parameters.
• Work with supply chain and operations to ensure successful commercial production, identify and screen alternative raw materials, engage with teams to solve quality issues.
• Work independently self-motivated as well as effectively collaborate with a global team of multidisciplinary scientists in research, manufacturing and quality support teams.
• Work with product, commercial and marketing teams to define technical goals that will support the commercial team to meet Chemours business objectives.
• Maintain good housekeeping in laboratory space, write and follow safety documentation and operating procedures. Participate in Process Hazards Reviews, safety reviews, and safety audits as needed.
The following is required for this role:
• Ph.D. in technical discipline; chemistry, chemical engineering or polymer science.
• Excellent laboratory technique and communication skills, a broad knowledge of organic synthetic methods, strong analytical skills and a proficiency in chemical separation and identification of organic compounds.
• Knowledge of Process Safety Management, SOPs, and safe handling of chemicals and materials.
• Strong interpersonal skills, language skills, presentation skills – both written and oral.
• Ability to lift and move 40 pounds occasionally.
The following is preferred for this role:
• 3+ yrs experience in a technical role with fluoropolymer production.
• Expertise in characterization of colloidal systems.
• Experience with analytical measurement techniques such as Liquid Chromatography, FT-IR, TGA, DSC, and Rheology.